Updating your theme to a new version is simple. However, it's always a good idea to backup your database before updating your theme just in case.
Note: When you do that, all direct changes made to a theme will be overwritten. I strongly recommend you to make changes in a child theme. Also if you translated your theme, copy .po and .mo files to safe place and copy them back after installing a new update.
Before updating your theme, removing the old one first is important. Because when you do that, all important settings will be saved to the database properly and will prevent from some unexpected issues.
- First of all, navigate to Appearance > Themes on your dashboard.
- Activate a different time such as Twenty Fifteen.
- Hover over Canary and click Theme Details.
- Click Delete on bottom right corner and click OK.
- Click Add New.
- Click Upload Theme.
- Click Choose File and select
canary.zipfile. (This file is inside uploads folder in your downloaded zip file)
- Click Install Now then Activate.